Saturday, August 4, 2018

Cycle of Rebirths chapter two preview #paranormalromance

Chapter Two

Book #2 - Cycle of Rebirths - Apple | Barnes and Noble | Amazon |

Charlotte was a high-school music teacher when Nicholae Dragomir found her and charmed his way into managing her career. She’s happy with minor fame until she meets Simon, a mysterious Englishman she’s irresistibly drawn to. 

Simon lost his wife Caroline in 1530 to a devastating curse—she’s reincarnated every generation with no memory of him and he spends his days trapped as a statue. If they don’t fall in love again by her twenty-fifth birthday, the search starts all over. 

When Simon hesitates to divulge his past to Charlotte, it sends her straight into Nicholae’s arms—a vampire in Lady Juliet’s clan—and a path of destruction. Simon, Agent Seven, and Adam must save Charlotte in time or she and Simon will be cursed forever. 

This story is intended for readers over the age of 18 due to adult situations.


Chapter Two

Charlotte was finishing her first year as an orchestra teacher at a high school in L.A.  She brought her student orchestra to a May interdistrict festival.  The top school would receive a trophy and donation from the Philharmonic Society.  Her students weren’t going to win today, but she was proud of the progress they’d made. 
She was about to go into the room storing their belongings when someone called her name.  Tall, dark, and handsome with a charming lilt to his voice.
She’d never met someone with gray-green eyes before—at least under this light in the bowels of the concert hall—and his attention had been so intent.  A shiver ran up her spine as she watched him leave. 


“Oh my god, Ms. Taylor, he was majorly hot!”
“And that accent!”
She turned around, adopting her teacher’s voice.  “Alright, girls. That’s enough. Everybody to the bus! We have to get you back to the school by two-thirty.”
Her apartment building had suffered a mysterious collapse recently, waking her in the middle of the night to evacuate.  Luckily, she had a unit at the opposite corner from the damage so it was still stable enough to go inside, but the fire department made all tenants move out in a day before red-tagging the building.  She was barely able to afford the tiny apartment, but really didn’t want to move back home to Oklahoma.
The apartment was drafty in winter, the hot water usually ran out, and the next-door neighbors fought all the time, but it was home.  All the furniture had been bought at thrift stores or yard sales except her bed and the only appliance she owned was a microwave, but it was the first place she’d lived in and paid for alone after college.
It choked her up a bit to say goodbye to the little place so suddenly.
Thankfully, her boss gave her a day off with pay.
She boxed up all the sentimental things, fast as she could, grabbed clothes from the closet, and stuffed it all in the car.
Her phone rang the next morning.  She sat at her desk grading end-of-semester reports when the switchboard put the call through.  “Room 203, Ms. Taylor speaking.”
“Ms. Taylor, this is Nicholae Dragomir. We met recently. Is this a good time?”
She had a mental gasp.  What could this man be offering?  When she gave him her card, she never expected him to call.  “Well, I was grading papers…”  Keep it cool.  “But I have a free period at twelve-forty-five, if it’s important.”
“No rush.”  He said it like time was a luxury in his world.  “I must confess I am not used to seeing female conductors. They are not common where I come from, you see. You’ve been well taught. Forgive me if this is too forward, but I have two tickets to the opera for Friday night. I was going to take my mother, but she cannot attend. I would be deeply honored if you would join me?”
Is he asking me on a date?  “Mr. Dragomir—”
“Nicholae, please. I understand the hesitation of a single woman in a large city.”  His tone was calm and soothing.  “We could meet at the theater, if you would be more comfortable. I would greatly enjoy the company of one educated such as you. Will you consider it?” 
She certainly felt flattered.  His genuine charm couldn’t be denied, and it was sweet of him to think of her safety.  “I…call me back this afternoon, and I will have your answer.”  She twisted the phone cord around her finger.  Why was she even considering this?  A date with a strange man, and at the end of the school year? 
Papers didn’t grade themselves.
He chuckled.  “Very well. I look forward to it. Good day, Charlotte.”  He ended the call.
Shaking her head, she picked up where she left off reading, but the invitation mulled about the back of her mind all morning.
At 12:45PM on the dot, Nicholae walked into her classroom.  Her eyes widened in surprise as she hurried the last two girls out the door.  “What are you doing here?” she hissed.
“Calling on you.”  He was either oblivious to her fluster or enjoyed it.  “You said you would have your answer at this time. These are for you.”  Smiling, he held out a bouquet of pink daisies.
So sweet.  Wait, no!
She took the bouquet and tossed it on the desk, putting her hands on her hips and scowling at him.  “As in call back on the phone! I can’t have male visitors unannounced! I’ll get in trouble with my boss.” 
“I was discreet coming in, I assure you. I would not want to cause you trouble, Miss Charlotte.”  Nicholae stepped forward, tilting his head in an innocent way like a puppy.  “I meant no offense.”
She huffed out a breath, weighing options.  “If I agree to go, will you leave now?”  It was difficult to look away from his eyes.
“You have my word.”  He even gave her a little bow.
“Fine. Leave the details, and I’ll meet you on Friday.”
He smiled.  “Excellent!”  Nicholae stepped toward the door adjacent to the parking lot, stopping to lean close to her ear.  “It will be a pleasure, Ms. Taylor.”  His breath tickled her neck. 
She suppressed a shiver.  “Good day, Mr. Dragomir.”
He nodded and left. 
She sighed in relief once she was alone and turned to the desk—had to make sure to bring the daisies home.  The flowers were innocent no matter how forward Mr. Dragomir had been.
Attending the opera with a mysterious European…wouldn’t Mom have a field day with this?

****

Nicholae stood by the door to the concert hall dressed in a very sharp suit.  
Charlotte looked over her date as she ascended the stairs.  Living in L.A. a while, she’d come to recognize expensive tailoring.  The charcoal gray fabric made him stand out among the see of black the other men wore.  If you liked the tall, dark, and handsome type, he was very attractive—and she did. 
His eyes lit up upon spotting her, sweeping over her from head to toe and back again.  She felt visually caressed, and that she should’ve worn a dress with less cleavage to meet a stranger.  But C-cups weren’t easy to hide on a five-foot frame on any day.
He reached for her free hand and kissed it.  “I am a lucky man to have such a lovely companion tonight. Shall we?” he asked, offering his arm.
She placed her hand on the crook of his elbow.  “Indeed. I’m looking forward to the performance.”
“Are you familiar with this opera?”
“Only with a couple of the arias. I used to participate in singing competitions in high school. I’ve been meaning to ask you—where are you from?”
Eastern Europe, originally, and a bit of everywhere. My family, they like to roam. I have seen much in my life.”
She held her skirt up a couple inches to walk the stairs to their section.  He had box seats.  A box cost a pretty penny!  Wonder what he and/or his family did for a living—or were they ‘old money’?
“We did something similar, though only in summer, starting out seeing the rest of the U.S. when I was five. I enjoy traveling, though a teacher’s salary doesn’t afford me much of it nowadays. Do you prefer living here, or back across the Atlantic?”
He held open the door to the box, then allowed her to pick a seat first.  “It depends on my mood, I guess you could say. There are many opportunities available here, of course, but this country is still also so young. There are times I miss the feel of…history.”  The rows below were still filling as people hurried to their seats before the curtain call.  “Can you see well enough?”
She turned to him and smiled.  “Oh, yes. I’m fine. It’s really all in the hearing, though, yes? Music is just as able to reach the blind, or the deaf…because you can feel it.”
He hummed in agreement.  “Never let passion fade from you, sweet Charlotte. It will serve your work well, just as life.” 
The lights flashed off and on, indicating everyone should take their seats, and the orchestra started to play the introduction…

****

She clapped as the final curtain closed. 
He touched her arm.  “Perhaps we could go for coffee or dessert, and discuss the performance?”
She hedged.  “I…”
“Tomorrow is Saturday, so you do not have work, yes? It is not so very late, yet.”
“You’re right, it’s not…but not tonight. I actually have someone waiting for a call.”
“I see. Well, permit me to walk you to your car, then, and we will say goodnight.”  They moved out of the box into the crowded hallway.  “I hope you enjoyed the opera?”
“I did, very much. Thank you for inviting me, Nicholae. I hope your mother feels better soon.
“You’re so thoughtful. I’m sure it is merely a cold or something. You know, I have tickets for the summer concert season…perhaps tonight will not be our only outing.”
She smiled enigmatically.  “Perhaps…”
He certainly intrigued her.  Handsome enough.  Appreciated history and culture.  It would be nice to go out with someone who had more than twenty dollars to their name, too.
But…
Her friends and family back in Oklahoma were engaged or married by now.  Most had never left the state.  She’d escaped the first chance she got and put her nose to the grindstone to build an independent life.  There was no time for serious boyfriends.
It took a while to escape the crowded theater, but they made it to the parking lot.  Charlotte managed to find a close spot when she arrived, so it wasn’t a far walk.  “Well, this is me.”
“Of course. It was a lovely evening, Charlotte. I hope to see you again soon.”  Nicholae took her hand to kiss it; only this time, he placed the kiss on the inside of her wrist in a manner that could only be described as sensual. 
She dropped her eyes, blushing.
He smiled and backed away a few steps before turning and leaving. 
She exhaled to release the tension, then unlocked her car.
Nicholae made lunch plans with her the next day. 
She had a hard time saying no where he was concerned.
“You mentioned longing to travel. What if I could help make that happen?” he asked.  He’d taken her to a fancy café that served things like steak tartar and Nicoise salad.
“What do you mean?”
He set down his fork and caught her gaze.  “Let me ask you this: do you prefer teaching, or would you rather perform? Guide someone else’s talent, or make the world adore yours?”
“How would you do that?”
“I’m a patron of the arts, Charlotte. There’s a piano in the lobby of your hotel, yes?”
“I think so…”
“Play for me when we get back. Then we’ll talk more. Now, where was I?” 
He continued his dissertation on Russian musical influences.

No comments: